Since I first posted this in 2013, we’ve gotten even more research, especially about saturated fats, and the news is good: they help decrease heart disease and they truly help inflammation.
Here is the latest:
You need fats. Do NOT try and lose weight by turning to low fat options. Guess what they trade for fat so that the product tastes ok? SUGAR = CARBS. The trade off is that you’re hungry in an hour! Why? Your insulin just spiked.
How many times have you eaten a meal only to feel hungry in an hour or two? Fat gives us satiety, the feeling of “I’ve had enought to eat”. So, fat is your FRIEND, especially if you want to lose weight. Here’s simple guidelines for fat consumption. Did you know you don’t absorb certain vitamins without fat? Vitamins A, D, E and K are considered “fat soluble” and are absorbed MUCH better when paired with fat.
List of “Good” Fats:
vary where they come from, add them to your meals, and find you’ll stay full longer.
- Cold Pressed, unrefined Olive oil (but not for high temperature cooking)
- Grass Fed, pasture raised Ghee, which is clarified butter from milk from grass fed cows, which is their normal diet (this butter has high amounts of healty Omega 3’s, unlike our “regular” butter)
- Coconut oil (yes, it’s saturated, but healthy despite that, see references below) Refined coconut oil is one of the BEST cooking oils, and it doesn’t have a huge “coconuty” flavor, but it is one of the best oils for handling higher heats. I use almost nothing but olive, avocado, coconut and walnut oils (walnut for salad drsg) in my food prep
- Sesame, flax and pumpkin seed oil
- Cold water fish: (sardines, salmon, tuna, sardines, trout, crab, cod, anchovies)
- Eggs (yes, eat the yolk!! they do NOT raise cholesterol!)
- Nuts (walnuts, almonds, almonds, macadamia nuts, hazelnuts, pecans, cashews)
- Almond butter, cashew butter
- Whole Seeds: Sunflower, sesame, and pumpkin seeds, flaxseeds, pine nuts
Further Reading, Links updated 2017:
A Great Book: Eat Fat, Get Thin by Dr. Mark Hyman (see below for a short video on it)