I have several of Elana Amsterdam’s Almond Flour and Gluten free cookbooks. This is my take on her delicious Leek and Smoked Salmon Tart. You can see her original recipe in her “The Almond Flour Cookbook”. I’ve modified hers a bit. This can easily be made dairy free with a few substitutions. If you eat dairy, she loves adding some soft goat cheese after it is baked. The crust is easy, no rolling of dough, and it seriously is ready to bake in under 5 minutes. Assemble the filling while it cooks.
Savory Almond Flour Crust:
- 1 ½ cups blanched almond meal: I use Honeyville brand
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ cup thinly sliced green onions: green and white parts-minced
- 1 T Italian seasoning OR basil OR oregano, etc.
- 4 T ghee OR coconut oil, @ room temp (dairy free? use coconut oil)
- 1 Tbsp water
Mix above ingredients together (I use a pastry blender, you can also use a fork or your fingers) and press into a 9 inch tart or pie pan, making sure to create “sides” with the dough. You may have to push it around. If it is too crumbly, add another T of water.
Bake the crust in a 350 degree F oven for 15 minutes. You want it slightly browned, but it will be cooked again, so not too brown. Nuts can scorch easily, so keep an eye on it.
While the tart crust is baking, make the filling:
- 2 oz smoked salmon, chopped up
- 4 eggs
- 2 T melted butter
- 2 leeks, sliced down middle, trimmed and sliced into think half circles of both green (the tender green) and white parts
- 1 T fresh dill — you can use dried, but fresh is so much better!
- ½ teas. salt (smoked salmon is salty, so don’t add more)
- optional: ¼ cup heavy cream (omit if dairy free)
- optional: after cooking add some soft goat cheese to your plate
Whisk eggs and cream together. Melt the butter in a small saute pan, and cook the leeks, stirring (don’t brown them) until translucent and limp. If you are using the cream, whisk the eggs and cream together, and add the salmon (it is sticky, so try and “crumble” it), warm (not hot) leeks, dill and salt. Mix well, and pour into the cooked crust.
Bake the tart in a 350 degree oven for 25-30 minutes.