I am fortunate to have a spouse who has been willing to “eat clean” the way I need to. This has been a godsend, as I don’t have to come up with two dinners each night! Last week, we were in a rut of what to do with our grass fed hamburger, and he came up with this, combining an old favorite with new “go to” replacements for our carbs. Specifically, cauliflower mash for potatoes, and green beans for peas. It was a hit! We made a double recipe and then didn’t have to cook for a few nights. WIN-WIN!
Steve’s Low Carb Shepherd’s Pie (printable copy here)
1 Lbs grass fed ground beef or ground lamb
1 Tbl Oil
2 cloves chopped garlic
1 chopped green onion
1 medium chopped yellow onion
1 Tbl arrowroot (you can use cornstarch, but it adds carbs)
1 tsp Salt
¼ tsp Thyme
1 tsp Pepper (black, or aleppo, both work well)
1 cup Water
1 T organic tomato paste
2 T organic fresh parsley
1 cup steamed green beans
1 head cauliflower
1 T ghee or grass fed butter
2 teaspoons salt OR teaspoon of chicken stock mix (the concentrated kind, I use “Better than Bouillon” Organic Chicken Base)
grated fresh black pepper (optional)
8 Tbl shredded cheddar cheese
4 Tbl shredded parmesan
Sprinkle the top with paprika
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Trim the cauliflower stems off the flowerettes, and cook till very soft. Mash with the butter and add bouillon, and set aside for topping.
- In a hot skillet, brown the meat in the oil with the garlic, onions and green onion. When browned and the onion is tender, add salt, pepper and arrowroot.
- Cook 3-4 minutes, then add tomato paste and water and cook until thick and creamy.
- Add green beans and parsley. Taste and season at this point. If you like it spicier, add more pepper.
- Place in an uncovered casserole dish, and top evenly with the mashed cauliflower and add both grated cheeses. Bake 20 min until golden brown. Serves 4.
Nutrition Info (using all ingredients, including cheese)