Low Carb Asparagus Pepper Stir Fry
- 1 # grass fed ground beef, or ground pork
- 1 large shallot chopped or green onions (4), chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (if large, use one)
- 1 tbsp. fresh minced ginger
- 1 red bell pepper, diced large
- 2 cups asparagus, chopped
- 3 tbsp. coconut aminos
- 1-2 tsp. Asian red chili paste** (see my go to below)
- 1/4 cup Thai basil or regular fresh basil
- For “rice”:
- 1 head cauliflower, riced (see below)
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 tbsp. coconut oil (or ghee)
- 1 T chicken bouillon base (I LOVE “Better than Bouillon” brand, organic)
- ¼ cup hot water
Prep cauliflower rice. Chop the cauliflower into florets and add to a food processor with the onion and garlic. Pulse into fine rice like pieces. Do this in batches so that the pieces stay fairly uniform.
Start the stir-fry:
Add the beef to a hot saute pan on medium high heat. Using a chopper or spatula, break up the pieces until cooked thoroughly.
Add in the ginger and minced shallot (or green onions), cook for 4-5 min until wilted. Add the garlic, peppers and asparagus. Cook until the asparagus is just tender, about 3-4 minutes.
Add the coconut aminos, chili paste, and basil. Cook for 30 seconds and remove from heat. Taste and season as needed with additional soy or chili sauce.
**Start small, you can always add more red curry paste if you want more heat.
Finish the “rice”
To cook, saute the cauliflower rice in 1 tbsp. coconut oil or ghee over medium heat until soft. Put the chicken bouillon starter into the hot water and stir well. Saute until water is absorbed/evaporated.
Serve the Stir fry over the cauliflower rice. A meal in a bowl, low carb, lots of fiber, and delicious!
Alternatives: Substitute green beans chopped, orange or yellow pepper, pea pods for veggies.
My favorite chili pastes are these, I use this the most, but they also make others in various “flavors”:
Mekhala Organic Gluten-Free Thai Red Curry Paste 3.53oz
Learn more HERE